GRAduate School in MECHanics
last update : 02 February 2015
URL of this page : http://www.grasmech.frs-fnrs.be/index.html
The Graduate School in Mechanics is organized under the auspices of the National Committee on Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, and it is also an FNRS Graduate School (Ecole Doctorale Thématique du FNRS).
- Catholic University of Leuven (KU Leuven)
- Royal Military Academy (RMA)
- Université catholique de Louvain (UCL)
- Université de Liège (ULg)
- Université de Mons (UMons)
- Universiteit Gent (UGent)
- Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
- Von Karman Institute (VKI)
- Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB)
- H. Deconinck, VKI, Aeronautics & Aerospace department
- G. Degrez, ULB, unité de Mécanique des Fluides
- V. Legat, UCLouvain, Institute of Mechanics, Materials and Civil Engineering
- D. Van Hemelrijck, VUB, onderzoeksgroep Mechanica van Materialen en Constructies
- J.-P. Ponthot, ULiège, département d'Aérospatiale et Mécanique
- D. Vandepitte, KU Leuven, afdeling Productietechnieken, Machinebouw & Automatisering, co-ordinator
- W. Bosschaerts, RMA, departement Mechanica
- O. Verlinden, UMons, service de Mécanique rationnelle, Dynamique et Vibrations
- J. Vierendeels, UGent, vakgroep Mechanica van Stroming, Warmte & Verbranding
Graduate School in Mechanics
KU Leuven, afdeling PMA, Celestijnenlaan 300-B, 3001 Leuven
E-mail : GraSMech secretary,
1. The purpose of the Graduate School
The purpose of the Graduate School is to organise courses in the field of Computational and Experimental Mechanics, on a third cycle level, to all Belgian graduate students, in compliance with the rules of the parent institution of the student.
The field of science in "Mechanics" is very wide. Six subgroups are identified:
The school is primarily intended for doctoral students and researchers. Engineers and researchers from industry and professors from other educational institutions are also welcome.
- solid mechanics and acoustics
- materials processing
- fluid mechanics
- rheologically complex materials
- thermodynamics and heat transfer
- numerical aspects and programming
2. The programme
2.1 GraSMech courses
The courses are given in English. Unless stated otherwise, the courses are independent of each other.
All Belgian universities accept the courses that are given in the GraSMech frame as part of their own doctoral programme. This implies that formal examinations will be organised for students who require them to be part of their doctoral programme. Active participation of all students during the course is expected. Students who plan to take an examination for a course are kindly requested to mention that at registration.
2.2 GraSMech poster day
A GraSMech poster day is organised at specific occasions.
3. Course contents, prerequisites and student assignments 2014-2015
3.1 GraSMech courses
- Non-linear finite elements
3.2 Engineering Mechanics courses
GraSMech students can also register for courses of the Dutch Doctoral School on Engineering Mechanics.
4. Practical arrangements 2014-2015
4.1 GraSMech courses
- Non-linear finite elements
- teacher : A. Habraken (ULg)
- dates : 10 February, 03, 10, 17, 24 & 31 March 2015, 21 April 2015
- place : Université de Lièe (ULg), building B28. All lectures will take place in room R18.
4.2 Engineering Mechanics courses
The Dutch doctoral school of Engineering Mechanics organises graduate courses in different fields of Mechanics.
For more information on courses of the EM doctoral school, click here.
5. Registration to courses
5.1 GraSMech courses
Registration is done by sending an e-mail message with your name, address, university and department to the GraSMech secretary. Please mention the course(s) you are interested in, and indicate if you want to take an evaluation.
Secretary of the GraSMech Graduate School
KU Leuven, PMA section, Celestijnenlaan 300-B, 3001 Leuven
telefax : 016-322987
e-mail : GraSMech secretary
Participation is free of charge for participants from Belgian academic institutions and for students of the Engineering Mechanics doctoral school.
Other participants are requested to pay a registration fee of 301.20 euro per course. Cheques or money orders should be made payable to Graduate School on Mechanics. Alternatively, payment can be made by bank transfer to the account no. 432-0000011-57 of "K.U.Leuven - Boekhouding, Krakenstraat 3, 3000 Leuven", with reference HVG-PATEI1-P3610/STUD. An invoice will be sent.
5.2 Engineering Mechanics courses
Participation to Engineering Mechanics courses is not free. GraSMech participants can register at a reduced rate of 100,-EUR. Participants who want to register for an EM course are requested to register at the Engineering Mechanics graduate school and with the GraSMech secretary.
6. Other training activities
- ISMA40 Course on Modal Analysis : Theory and Practice, September 17-18, 2015 (KULeuven - PMA division)
- ISAAC26 Seminar on Advanced Techniques in Applied and Numerical Acoustics, September 17-18, 2015 (KULeuven - PMA division)
7. Links to other Graduate Schools and organisations for doctoral programmes
This section contains some links to other Graduate Schools :
- the Graduate School in Systems & Control is hosted by UCLouvain
- the Engineering Mechanics research school is hosted by Technical University of Eindhoven
- CISM,, the International Centre For Mechanical Sciences organises several courses for doctoral students. Participants pay a registration fee, but young researchers who cannot be supported by their own institutions may apply for scholarships.